Thursday, 25 October 2012

Accident update

It has been 1 1/2 weeks since my accident. I have had a couple of good days but I've had a lot of real bad days.

I have consulted my family doctor and was put on Naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) as I went from fine on Tuesday (the day after the accident) to WOAH where'd that pain come from on Thursday.

I have consulted Dr. Tompkins... my fibro specialist. Her biggest advice was rest and heat. I have been using a heating blanket almost all day... at work and home. But to only use the anti-inflammatories for the two weeks perscribed and no longer.

She explained how ice is so often recommended for my type of injuries but how dangerous it can be. Getting cold causes the nerves to tense up and the muscles to tense up. On top of it... many people ice for too long and can actually cause frost burn and hypothermia in muscles. So not only do we have to get over the issues the cold caused but we have to get over the original issues, injury caused from the accident.

So I have been following that advice. I make sure I'm walking less than 3,000 steps a day (my norm is between 5000 and 6000). Keeping really warm and using Vicks on my aching back muscles.

And of course, I made things worse yesterday. I have started physio so I had that yesterday morning at 7am, then worked until 3:30, saw Dr. Tompkins last night so it was after 7pm before I got to settle down and relax.

Today I am paying for it! I could barely work for more than 3 hours and have been home resting most of the day.

I have most definitely been diagnosed with whiplash and will be doing gentle physio for the next while and resting.

Dr. Tompkins has warned it may take up to 3 months to feel "normal" again if I behave myself and do all I'm told.

So thanks for tuning in... I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment