Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Visceral Manipulation

Well today was certainly an interesting day.


Doc had sent me to a new physiotherapist due to all the back pain I have been having... she isn't your typical physiotherapist!!
 
First, her office looks more like a massage therapist or chiropractor. She had me stand with my back to her and started doing all these measurements and touching me all over!!
 
Turns out, this lady does visceral manipulation and craniosacral therapy. Interesting concept (taken from her brochure):
""Viscera" relates to the internal organs of the body such as the liver, kidneys and intestines. Visceral Manipulation is a gentle manual therapy that aids your body's ability to release restrictions and unhealthy compensations that cause pain and dysfunction. Visceral Manipulation, or VM, does not focus solely on the site of pain or dysfunction, but evaluates the entire body to find the source of the problem. The VM therapist feels for altered or decreased motion within the viscera, as well as restrictive patterns throughout the body and then applies VM techniques. VM therapy re-establishes the body's ability to adapt and restore itself to health."



So turns out that my whole right side is sitting higher than my left. I have much less movement in my left side and the top ribs barely have any space between them I'm so scrunched up.


So she did a lot of these manipulations, small palpitations in the tummy and abdominal area, actually moving ribs around etc. She even did some manipulations in my mouth on the roof and top teeth!!Some of these manipulations were quite painful while they were happening but surprisingly I'm not hurting right now.


She made no promises that she could "cure" either the FM or CFS but she is hoping to help increase my energy, is hopeful that she will end the heart arrhythmia and is quite confident that my back pain will be eradicated.


Hey, I've tried everything else to no avail so I figure... what the heck! And because she is a physiotherapist all the appointments are covered under my insurance! It can apparently take up to 10 days for visceral manipulation to show changes so appointments are usually every couple of weeks and most people only need about 5 appointments to be feeling better.


I will keep posting my progress (or lack thereof) and let you know how it goes. Who knows... just may be someone's answer to pain relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment