Monday, 11 June 2012

Eating Healthy, Vitamins and other things

Hi everyone... I honestly thought it was going to be really difficult to come up with something everyday... but I guess when you live it everyday you sure have a lot to say about it.

So last night I DID NOT get my bedroom cold enough... and at some point I got up and turned my fan off too!! My room only got down to 19 degrees... oh brother. NIGHT SWEATS... I changed 5 times starting at 11:30 pm and continuing straight on till 5 am. Ridiculous. I have still not ruled out that the birth control pills I am taking are causing this because it was never a problem before them. If anyone else has taken Seasonale and had a similar problem I would love to hear about it.

Remarkably enough, I had an incredibly good day... it probably helped that it was my best friend Angela's birthday and we surprised the crap out of her with her gift (a new Kobo)... best reaction EVER!! And it was just a real calm, easy day with not a lot of running around but some really feel good vibes floating in the air.

So let's talk about eating. I mentioned it before but I will mention it again. It is so PATHETIC that when we get busy the first thing we cut out is healthy eating. And I'm sorry, but reality is we have gotten really lazy too. Why spend 30 minutes preparing a meal when I can open the freezer, take something out and nuke it? Because we are making ourselves sick... that's why!! I was one of the worst culprits!! Instead of taking the time to make a healthy meal I would eat a bowl of cereal. And on high pain days it is still hard not to take a short cut and just reach for something quick. But now my something quick is fruit and high grain breads. I just don't buy that other stuff anymore. If you don't buy it... you can't eat it. One of my favourite sayings from Dr. Tompkins "Eat Junk, Feel Like Junk".

First off, we discovered I am lactose intolerant. I think everyone has some lactose issues... I mean how many of us get really phlegmy after a bowl of ice cream or find ourselves a little gassy after a piece of pizza? Humans are the only mammals on earth that continue to consume milk after we are weaned from our mothers so it kind of makes sense. So I have almost cut milk out of my diet completely. I still have my moments of weakness and I'll have a little ice cream or some whip cream on dessert, but I get so sick sometimes when I do that it is just not worth it. Almost 80% of Dr. Tompkins patients are lactose intolerant. Some even feel better pain-wise once they remove it from their diets.

The other major change in my diet is my protein. I have a lot of friends that are vegetarians... and I completely respect their decisions, but I have always been a big believer that we weren't born with canines to eat carrots. Now please, I do not want to start an argument here on meat vs. none. I am only speaking from my experience and that of my doctor's. I very often found my protein in legumes and nuts but have increased my meat, fish and poultry recently and do feel more energetic and stronger. I consume approximately 7 ozs a day this way and my goal is to eventually get up to 11 ozs which is ideal for people with chronic pain. I also make sure... or try really hard... to consume that protein throughout the day instead of just with dinner. If I ever had to hunt for my own meat I may feel a little different... but for now this is working just fine.

So how many of you have been told by your doctor's to watch your salt intake? And how many people do you know with low phosphorous or thyroid problems? When doctors went on their kick to cut out all salt in our diets, they forgot that it was the major way we got our iodine which is extremely important for gland function. I personally have a thyroid problem and have since my youngest son Stuart was born. I have NEVER had a problem with high blood pressure but was always very cautious about my sodium intake. Possibly related... who knows? Sea salt does NOT contain iodine so you have to find other sources... and about the only other source is with supplements. If you do not have a problem with high blood pressure, there is no reason you can not eat salt in moderation. If you do choose to cook with salt, use Windsor brand instead of Sifto. I have learned that Sifto contains a chemical that is dangerous for us. As well, iodine evaporates within about 2 months, so go for smaller containers that you will use up faster.

With our fast-paced lifestyles, we are all working longer hours and not spending as much time outdoors. This, of course, is leading to low Vitamin D levels. Over 75% of the North American population is vitamin D deficient... but again, it is quite prevalent in chronic pain patients. So again, you have a couple of options... you can increase your vitamin D with diet, make sure you get outside for at least 20 minutes in the sun daily or take a supplement. The BEST vitamin D supplement is Ddrops. One drop = 1000 IUs. I am so deficient I take 3 drops a day with dinner. But I am getting better and soon enough I won't need supplements at all.

Vitamin D, phosphorous and iron are all related to muscle development, bone development and energy levels. I guess it goes without saying that it makes sense that such a large amount of chronic pain patients are deficient in some or all of these. Please keep in mind that we are our own advocates. You can always ask your doctor to have you tested.

This leaves me to today's final point. Please DO NOT self-diagnose. It is so important to find a doctor that is going to listen to you. Keep interviewing doctors until you find one that "fits" you. They need to listen to all your symptoms and concerns and they need to test you for EVERYTHING before they settle on a diagnosis. Dr. Tompkins has had the unfortunate incidents where she has accepted "chronic pain" patients to only find out they actually have cancer or muscular dystrophy. You need a doctor that is going to be thorough, listen to you and make the right diagnosis. If something just doesn't make sense or feel right... it probably isn't. Question everything and do what feels right!

No comments:

Post a Comment